Claytan
The late Mr. Tan Soon Heng, a native Teochew from the southern province of Guangdong, China founded CLAYTAN in 1920 when he came to the then Malaya during the 1st World War at the turn of the 20th Century. Armed with the craftsmanship of a generations-old tradition in ceramics, he started a cottage workshop in Segambut, Kuala Lumpur.
1935 saw the birth of Johore Pipe Company (“JPC”) when the late Mr. Tan moved south to Ayer Hitam, Johor to set up a small plant of 20 persons to produce subsoil pipes for the Public Works Department and the Health Department in Malaya and Singapore, and latex cups for rubber estates in the southern region.
In 1957, Mr. Tan Chong Cheng took over the helm of JPC from his late father to realize the latter's dream and vision. Over the decades since, under his charge, the CLAYTAN Group has grown from strength to strength.
Today, CLAYTAN is the only surviving pioneer in the ceramic industry in Malaysia and the most diversified manufacturer of ceramic products consisting of sanitaryware in two types of body (vitreous china and fire clay), tableware in four types of body (earthenware, vitreous china, stoneware and fine china) and two types of vitrified clay pipes (standard VCP's, and jacking pipes). 70% of the Group’s products are being exported to Australia, Japan, Europe, the UK and USA. The Group is now turning its attention to the market in the Asia Pacific and ASEAN region. The world is our market ... it is our “Long March” from the 20th to the 21st Century.